Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A poem about some Faunts




Doing genealogy can be therapeutic I believe. This week I contacted a cousin of my cousins in Ohio.I have not been able to contact them for a long while.We shared photos and information back and forth and I was very happy to understand that my uncle had had a very happy but short life which we did not always share.


My other 2 uncles lived nearby and they were close with my Mom.Closer than I was I am sure.Their mother died when they were quite young and I knew that.What I did not know was the many tragedies that piled up on top of one another led to a family style of relating that was at times not functional but which apparently worked.


We all have our quirks but we also have many great strengths which I now believe we are still passing down...As it says in scripture " the greatest of these is Love".


My Sister and I were talking about our Uncle Joe and she reminded me that when he passed away at the young age of 46 this poem below was read in his eulogy. I looked it up today and realized that it really could apply to both Joe and his brother Franny both of whom passed away by their 47th year.Their mother died when they were tiny and they were in an orphanage for a lot of their childhood.That fact touched all of our lives..But they did SHINE while they were in this world ~!


Abou Ben Adhem ~ A poem
by Leigh Hunt
Abou Ben Adhem (may his tribe increase!)
Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace
And saw, within the moonlight in his room,
Making it rich, and like a lily in bloom,
An Angel writing in a book of gold:
Exceeding peace had made Ben Adhem bold,
And to the Presence in the room he said,“What writest thou?”
The Vision raised its head,And with a look made all of sweet accord
Answered,“The names of those who love the Lord.”
“And is mine one?” said Abou.
“Nay, not so,”Replied the Angel.
Abou spoke more low,But cheerily still;
and said, “I pray thee, then,
Write me as one who loves his fellow men.
The Angel wrote, and vanished. The next night
It came again with a great wakening light,
And showed the names whom love of God had blessed,
And, lo! Ben Adhem’s name led all the rest!




No comments: